Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 13 - Eggies

I saw a commercial today for a product called Eggies. It's a plastic container much like those Tupperware trays that you pour Kool-Aid into and freeze to make popsicles, except the purpose of this product is to use while hard boiling eggs. I laughed at first because, unlike Kool-Aid, eggs already come in a container that you can hard boil them in. The shell. But then the commercial explained that part. Apparently, there is a large segment of the population that cannot get the shell off of a hard-boiled egg without tearing the egg into bits. I didn't realize this was an ongoing problem because I solved that issue by watching a cooking show when I was ten.

To further add to my amusement, the commercial went on to show elegant egg-centric dishes that I am sure could not be accomplished by someone who never mastered the task of peeling an egg. After all, these dishes involved other difficult tasks such as chopping an onion. Come to think of it, I recently saw a commercial for a product that chops onions for you, so I suppose those people just have to stay tuned a little longer to get all of their culinary needs. But they would not have to wait any longer for a product to chop the eggs for them, because an egg chopper was included in the price of the Eggies. Which was ten dollars. And they throw in a second one for free. At that price, it really doesn't matter that after you try it once it simply takes up cabinet space until your next yard sale, because after you try it once, I suspect you'll be throwing the pieces away.

At the end of the commercial, they tried to tell me what this product was valued at. For two minutes I listened to how original this product is, so what is it they are comparing it to exactly? If no one has ever bought this product or anything like it before, then the only person who has given it a value so far is the manufacturer. Who valued it at ten dollars. For two of them. Plus an egg chopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment