Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 21 - Diseased Family

As a new mother, visits to the doctor are frequent. He has scheduled visits every six weeks, and he has unscheduled visits every time I think that something might be going horribly wrong such as a change in eating habits, sleeping patterns, or a whimper that didn't sound exactly like his last whimper. And while I realize that the fact that the receptionist at the doctor's office recognizes my voice without the aid of caller ID might be a warning sign of overkill, I simply don't care. I am that mother.

Also as a new mother, I am inexplicably paranoid about things that may be germ-ridden coming into contact with my son. I don't boil his pacifier every time it hits a surface other than his mouth, but I also don't deny myself the urge to keep his environment a little bit sterile. Since doctor's offices are riddled with sick people, I usually pick a seat as far away from others as possible. At today's appointment, after I was seated with the baby in my lap, a woman plopped down in the seat next to me and began parenting her two unruly children from the safety of her seat. “Isaac, stop that.” He didn't. “Ruth, honey, don't.” She did. Given the woman's overly voluptuous situation, I was fairly certain that she was not about to stand up to control her children. Or escape a fire. But the children were destroying the office at a safe distance from my baby, so I was satisfied to listen to her ineffectual demands. Especially when they ineffectually 'came here now'.

Eventually though, as children will do, they discovered that there was a baby and came over to touch him. Luckily, the armchair mom also recognized what her little incubators were about to do and explained to them that they could not touch the baby because they were sick. She put a super-plus sized arm-barrier between the baby and the children. I was uncomfortable about her arm being in my lap, but was more uncomfortable with her kids wiping their snot on my baby, so I didn't complain. The children backed off and went over to stand on the other side of Mommy when the little girl noticed something in Mommy's mouth. “I want a piece of your candy,” the girl understandably demanded. “It's not candy, honey. Mommy has a sore throat.”

Are you kidding me?

No comments:

Post a Comment